Friday, August 12, 2011

You know you're Korean when...


The other night, I walked into the kitchen to grab myself a midnight snack.1  As I was looking for something to eat, I noticed there were brownies that Jennifer had made.  I ignored them, and promptly grabbed a bowl, which I immediately filled with rice and kimchi.  It was delicious, but when given a choice between a brownie and Korean food, who thinks to themselves I think I'll go with the rice and pickled cabbage?  I'll give you a hint...THIS GUY.2  But it's not my fault; I'm predisposed to make decisions like that.  Afterall, I'm Korean.3  Anyway, the moral of this story is YOU KNOW YOU'RE KOREAN WHEN...

  • As a child, instead of having normal birthday parties your mom invited all of her friends from church for bible study
  • You play the piano/violin/guitar/all of the above
  • Circle, cycle, so cool, soccer, sock, school, and sucker all sound the same
  • Your mother has had or does have a crazy ajuma perm
  • One or both of your parents are Korean4
  • You know what the word "HWIGHTING" means
  • You've shouted HWIGHTING, and immediately had someone echo it back
  • You hate when people mistake kimbap for sushi

If 8/8 of these apply to you, you're probably Korean.  Congratulations!  Now go celebrate the Korean way by buying yourself some soju (Korean rice wine), getting incredibly drunk at karaoke, almost getting into a fight outside of some bar, and blacking out.  Actually, that's a pretty universal way to celebrate things.  Do it anyway.

1 It was actually a 2:30 snack, but that doesn't have quite the same ring to it.
2 I am not a guy.
3 Half-Korean. Half AMURRCAN.
4 This one's a given.

1 comment:

  1. My mother was talking about cutting her hair and getting a perm on the train yesterday. I proceeded to point to the lovely Halmonee sitting opposite us, somewhat senile and peeling garlic, and asked,"Like that one?"

    She said she likes straight hair better.

    ReplyDelete